As summer ends and fall begins - everyone is looking for more "comfort food" v. the light salads that we've been enjoying throughout the summer.
One thing I remember my mother making in the fall is banana bread - with white flour, sugar and butter of course!
I've come up with a Paleo version of the household favourite. Nobody will know the difference!
Here we go...
Paleo Banana Bread
3 mashed bananas (ripe, small);
1 tsp. vanilla (alcohol free);
4 tbsp. coconut oil (melted);
3 eggs, separated; &
5 tbsp. raw honey, melted.
2 c. almond meal;
1 tsp. baking powder (aluminium free);
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees;
2. Cream the egg yolks and honey until fluffy;
3. Add the melted coconut oil, mashed banana and vanilla to the bowl, mix;
4. In another bowl - mix the almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon until combined;
5. Combine with the wet ingredients;
6. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form;
7. Fold the egg whites into the mixture;
8. Lightly coat 2 loaf pans with coconut oil and pour the mixture in evenly between the two;
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes, depending on your oven.
* You can choose to add nuts to this recipe - I believe people enjoy walnuts or pecans in banana bread *
PS - Banana bread tastes better the next day.